Monday, January 28, 2008

LA Fitness, salespeople extraordinaire

J and I just went to visit the new LA Fitness that opened near us. Sweet facility. Five racquetball courts, pool, sauna, cool classes. What a nice life that would be, to go out in the evening and swim some laps and sit in the sauna reading a magazine. Or take a kick-boxing class. I got so pumped up to workout every day while I was walking around seeing all the cool stuff.

And then there were the sweet talkin' salesmen. We read about their sales techniques beforehand on epinons, so we were prepared. They are puh-shy. We talked to the manager, and he was everything you picture when you think of a used car salesman. He even used a car analogy for something, I giggled to myself. Much to his sadness, because he was only thinking of us and our health and wellbeing, we did not join the gym today. I have a theory. First of all, EVERYONE joins the gym in January, especially a nice, new shiny one. So if I wait until the fall, maybe I will get a lower rate...no one joins a gym in October. Plus I will like to run and play tennis outside in the spring and summer anyway. And then there's my novelty factor. I like new shiny things...for awhile. So I need to get into the habit of working out at least 3 times a week instead of joining a gym and staying home.

Has anyone out there joined a gym? Do you go?

2 comments:

  1. LOL...we have talked about it but I cannot convince myself to spend the money on something that I am not sure I will use all that often. To be honest, it is hard to find the time unless you want to go after all the kids are in bed and then it seem like you are working out until the wee hours of the morning. (= But I do agree. My brother and my parents both joined the gym this month. I think your theory is right, that most people join in January and then forget about their passes until later on in the year. (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say I'm one step worse than those who join and then don't go. Through work I can get a free gym memberships for both Elizabeth and I. The options include places like Cardinal, Bally's, etc. I've had the option for over a year now, and I still haven't managed to even join! Pathetic...

    ReplyDelete