Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Granola Bars

This is my 500th post!
So we're celebrating with granola bars.

I know. We're wild and crazy.

The girls and I love granola bars. But I haven't had much luck making my own. I've tried a variety of recipes in which the granola bars are baked, but with no success. Crumbly, dry messes.

Then along came Judicial Peach's no bake granola bar recipe. It took a few tries to get it the way I liked it, but now they are a staple in the house.

The ratio to remember is about 3 cups of dry ingredients to 1 cup gluey ingredients. I tried the peanut butter/honey combo for glue initially and it is quite tasty. But I'm now addicted to almond butter/honey. I'm in some serious love with almond butter. It might deserve its own post.

If you've never made your own granola, try my recipe. It's awesome. If I do say so myself.


Granola Bars

4 cups granola (without the dried fruit added at the end)
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1 1/4 cups natural almond butter (or peanut butter)**
3/4 cup honey

Put the chocolate chips in the freezer for a few minutes. (This will prevent melting later...although they certainly aren't bad with the chocolate melted throughout).

Mix the granola, raisins and salt.

Mix the almond butter and honey together in a small pan over low heat until melted and smooth. This doesn't take long, 3-4 minutes. Don't burn it. It does not smell nice and it's not fun to clean the pan.

Add the honey mixture to the granola mixture and mix thoroughly.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Line a 9"x13" pan with plastic wrap, and press the granola mixture into the pan.

Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Lift the granola bars out by the plastic wrap and cut into squares or rectangles.

Enjoy!

**NOTE: I use all natural peanut butter and almond butter, meaning all it contains is mashed nuts and salt. Peanut butters such as Jiffy or Skippy have added oil, which may affect the way the granola bars hold together. It may be okay, but I haven't tried it.

2 comments:

  1. I love almonds. I miss them terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, when I am feeling better I want to try it, or you could make them and send them to me:) I can't have peanut butter, but I have found that cooking with almond butter works the same and I love the taste.

    ReplyDelete