Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fall of Federer

Wow, what a great title. I should write headlines.

Ok, so it wasn't really a fall. More like a slip. My dad and I have been watching the Australian Open all week. We were shocked that Federer lost to Djokovic in the semi-finals. Here are some impressive Federer stats:

- It's been three years since he didn't make it to the finals in a Grand Slam competition.
- I believe he has won the past 10 Grand Slam competitions he has competed in (Australian, French, Wimbledon, US)
- He has 12 Grand Slam titles to his name...2 more and he will tie Pete Sampras, who currently holds the most Grand Slam titles.

Granted, there are a few reasons why he may not have been at the top of his game. He had food poisoning the week before, and that cost him a weight loss of 3 kilos. The Australian Open had a new surface that was more like clay, which is his worst playing surface. So I imagine this is not a sign of things to come, just a little hiccup in the path to world tennis domination.

So while I am a big Roger Federer fan, oh wait - this would be a good time for me to mention that Peter is currently living in Federer's hometown in Switzerland.

Easy on the eyes, isn't he.

Ok, so while I heart Federer, I am loving that there is now someone besides Nadal who can challenge Federer. And Djokovic is entertaining besides. Last year at the US Open, he was doing impressions of Sharapova and Nadal to entertain the crowd. I found this video of him doing some impressions backstage (Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi were my favorites). If you can't guess the subject, you can hear the names in a thick accent in the background.


2 comments:

  1. Kel loves tennis and is always bummed when they don't broadcast things on the normal poor people channels. There is a new channel on cable that is tennis only and it was almost enough to make Kel actually consider getting cable. LOL....we still don't have it. (= But it is fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola - We just watched it online at espn360.com. I love watching the tournaments, but you're right, regular channels either don't broadcast it or only broadcast the semifinals and finals.

    ReplyDelete