Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Glass Castle


I just read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls on recommendation from Anne. It is a fascinating autobiography of the author's childhood growing up in poverty. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. The author's descriptions of her childhood adventures are almost unbelievable to me - it was incredible to see the kids learn to fend for themselves at what seems to me at an impossibly young age. It gives a unique glimpse into a life that I certainly have no concept of. It opened my mind, and gave me enormous respect for the kids who pulled themselves out of that world and gave themselves a different future. I absolutely recommend this book.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for the comment on my blog. It really made my day.

    And kudos to you for reading real books--you know all thought provoking and stuff. I just read dumb fiction books that I don't really have to pay much attention to in order to get the point.

    ReplyDelete