Friday, April 18, 2008

Shakin' goin' on


J and I woke up at 5:40 this morning to a creaking, shaking house. An earthquake in Indiana? It lasted about 20 seconds, and didn't wake up Boo (thank you). It was a 5.2 magnitude earthquake, centered just west of the Indiana-Illinois border. It was the biggest earthquake in the midwest in over 40 years. It was felt in Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville, St. Louis and Cincinnatti. We didn't have any damage, nothing even fell off the walls. But as you can imagine, it was quite the news event. No Today Show today, just continuous coverage of THE EARTHQUAKE. I'm hearing just now that there was an aftershock while Boo and I were at the park this morning, but we didn't feel that one.

3 comments:

  1. We heard about that on the news this morning. Glad you are all ok and that it wasn't closer to you. (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided I'm never going to get to feel an earthquake! I slept through the one this morning. I missed the big aftershock around 11:15 too, and I was even walking outside then. Geez!

    We had some guys visit at work today from Genentech for a benchmarking visit. They thanked us for helping them feel at home with the warm weather and the earthquake.

    The funniest part was when the tornado siren went off for its weekly test at 11:00. They didn't understand why none of us even flinched when it started going off!

    Time to go see if I have earthquake insurance...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two big earthquakes in the US within two months in places not known for earthquakes. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete