Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Becoming Jane

I saw "Becoming Jane" last week at Elizabeth's. It wasn't a movie that was on my radar, and I'm not a huge fan of Anne Hathaway, so I went in with little expectation. I didn't like it for the first, hmm, probably 30 minutes or so. I think if I had been watching it alone I may have turned it off and never finished it. But then the movie really turned around for me, and by the end I found myself loving it. And I thought about it for several days. It wasn't an especially profound movie, but I guess it was so emotionally moving that it affected me for a few days afterwards. Once again I find myself thinking I really ought to read a Jane Austen novel. BTW, I really liked the male lead, James McAvoy, who was also in Band of Brothers.

I would recommend this movie...if you're in the mood for something heart-wrenching. Otherwise, watch Masterpiece Theater's Jane Eyre - it's full of drama, but the ending is so happy.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't watched this movie yet for the reason that I heard that it was heart-wrenching in the end and I deal with so much drama and unhappy endings everyday in my kids lives I want something happy. But it gives me hope that you liked it. You have impeccable taste. Oh and reading a Jane Austen novel can be quite a feat. They aren't the most free flowing novels that you could read, but the overall storyline is what is good. (=

    P.S. Totally agree with your opinion on Jane Eyre. I totally need to own that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Eyre DEFINITELY beats Becoming Jane. Although James McAvoy is way hot!

    ReplyDelete