Sunday, November 11, 2007

Thanksgiving is around the corner


I realized yesterday that Thanksgiving is practically here and I have yet to nail down our plans for the day. I think I will be cooking here, with possibly some friends coming to share dinner with us. I made a great turkey last year (if I do say so myself) and am looking forward to giving it another try this year. Last year I rubbed it down with olive oil and sage, put stuffing (much to Alton Brown's dismay) and an onion inside, garlic cloves under the skin with onions, carrots and celery in the bag with the turkey. Man, it makes me hungry just thinking about it. Pepperidge Farm stuffing is my favorite. And I will admit to eating the stuffing that was cooked INSIDE the turkey. I like to live on the edge. In Bloomington you could buy a fresh, organic turkey (can meat fall in the organic category?) from Bloomingfoods, but I haven't yet found a place like that up here. I suppose I don't care much about the organic part, but I think a fresh, never frozen turkey would sure be good.

We had such a cozy morning this morning. Due to Stake Conference, we didn't have church until 11:00 am and Jer didn't have any early morning meetings. It was stormy so we stayed in our house listening to the rain, had a leisurely breakfast with peppermint tea.

We started putting up our Christmas tree this evening. The story of our new (artificial) Christmas tree is a long one, so I may have to save it til tomorrow as it is getting late for me. And I don't have pictures of it yet either. So stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Your turkey sounds amazing. I don't think I am brave enough to try making a turkey just yet. I usually leave that one to my mother or grandmother. (= But it does sound wonderful! I am a little curious about your tree though. Is there a reason as to why you are putting it up so early? Tradition? Or just the love of Christmas? I would love to see a picture of it though. I think the tree is one of my favorite parts of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl after my own heart....I put our tree up Nov. 10th one day after I turned 35 :( I was hoping it would make me feel less depressed! UGH......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turkey sounds great. I didn't know eating the stuffing cooked inside the bird was hazardous. Been doing it all my life. But hey, I still ocassionally drink out of the garden hose too. Life was alot more fun before OSHA.

    ReplyDelete