Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies


I came across several pumpkin whoopie pie recipes and I thought they looked tasty. And Halloween-ish. So one afternoon, Boo and I gave them a try.

Whoopie pies and I were not made for each other.

They actually taste really good. But I am not at all a fan of the texture. Cakey cookies and that filling. Not for me.

So I loaded them up to take to a friend. Because if you like whoopie pies, they are yummy.

But on the way they fell off the stroller and were unsalvageable.

Ill-fated from the start.

BUT if you like whoopie pies, you should give these a try.


Chocolate Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Makes about 24 cookies, 12 pies.

Cookies:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 /2 tsp salt
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 TB baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl and whisk together to blend. Set aside.

Combine the butter and sugar. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.

Beat in the egg.

Blend in the buttermilk and vanilla extract until incorporated.

Mix in the dry ingredients, blending just until combined.

Drop about 2 teaspoons of batter per cookie onto the cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 12 minutes in a preheated 400˚ oven, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Allow to cool on the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Filling
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg

Whip together cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.

Add pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.

Pipe or spoon about 2 teaspoons filling on the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping the flat sides down.


2 comments:

  1. Dazzling recommendation :). BUt I did try the apple cinnamon oatmeal with our orchard picks and it was great! Have you ever made homemade doughnuts? I'm thinking of trying those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flori, I'm glad you enjoyed the oatmeal! I made apple cider doughnuts with friends several years ago, but I was not super involved in the making, so I don't remember much about the process. But the doughnuts themselves were fabulous. They are sounding really good these days with the chilly weather. If you end up making them, let me know how they go!

    ReplyDelete