Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Curried Chickpeas


I love Indian food.

When I was growing up, we lived next door to an Indian family. In the evenings I would linger by the side fence so I could take in the aromas of their cooking.

My first date with J was to a fabulous Indian restaurant that rivaled Ottavio's and Noble Court for my favorite restaurant.

Thanks to Penzey's Spice I learned to make Chicken Curry.

And thanks to America's Test Kitchen, I made some wicked Curried Chickpeas.

It's unusual for me to adapt an ATK recipe, but in this one I used less onion than the original recipe and more raisins. And cooked it just a tad longer at the end. My recipe is below.

Curried Chickpeas

Ingredients:

1 onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp canola oil
salt
4 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp)
1 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tsp grated or fresh minced ginger)
1 tsp curry powder
pepper
2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas, if using from dried beans)
1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 TB minced fresh cilantro (or 1 TB dried cilantro)
2 tsp lime juice

Directions:
Combine onion, oil and 1/4 tsp salt in a skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until softened, about 8 minutes.

Uncover, increase heat to medium-high and cook until onion is lightly browned, about 4 more minutes.

Add the garlic, ginger, curry, and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook about 30 seconds.

Stir in the chickpeas, broth and raisins and bring mixture to a simmer.

Reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 8 minutes.

Uncover, increase heat to high and cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 3 more minutes.

Take the pan off of the heat and stir in the yogurt, cilantro and lime juice.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Check back tomorrow for Tandoori Chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment