Sunday, November 14, 2010

Crackers

I've got great news.

Hulu has episodes of Good Eats!!

They only have five up at a time however. So I've already run out and am having to re-watch episodes.

Going Crackers was a great episode, I had to try his recipe for seeded crackers. I didn't have a pasta roller, so I enlisted J to roll out the dough for me. He's much faster than a pasta roller.

They were great! I loved the sesame seed taste. Now I need to find a place to buy sesame seeds and poppy seeds in bulk.

Alton Brown's Seeded Crackers

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder**
3 TB olive oil
3/4 cup plus 1 TB water

**If you don't have aluminum free baking powder, use 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp cream of tartar.**

Directions:

Whisk together white and wheat flour, poppy and sesame seeds, salt, baking powder.

Mix in oil.

Add water and stir until just combined.

Turn dough out onto a floured board. Knead a few times, to ensure dough is evenly mixed and smooth. Cut into 8 pieces and cover with a towel 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Flatten one dough ball and pass through a pasta roller at the widest setting. Reduce the pasta roller and continue rolling through and tightening down until dough is about 1/8" thick.

Place dough sheet on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using pizza cutter, cut sheets into 2x2" squares.

Bake 8-12 minutes or until browned and crisp. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Good Eats on HULU - now there's something to celebrate. I think I'll look him up now. Those crackers look great.

    ReplyDelete