Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chicken Curry

My roommate (hi Sujatha) used to make fantastic curry dishes. I have had a jar of nice curry sitting in my cupboard for awhile, waiting for me to get brave enough to try something.

Then came my Penzeys Spice catalog yesterday. With a starter Chicken Curry recipe, just for me. I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, so I made it right away.

Awesome.

Easy recipe, basic ingredients. I would like to make it every night.


Starter Chicken Curry

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup flour
1 TB curry powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup raisins
2/3 cup uncooked rice
3 cups chicken broth (or 3 cups water plus 3 tsp chicken bouillon)

In a zip-top bag, combine the flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Add the chicken pieces and shake to evenly coat.

Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, turning once, until they are browned well.

Add the onion, raisins and rice and stir to blend. Pour in the chicken broth, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked. (I used brown rice and it took a bit more than an hour to cook).

**If you like to cook, order the Penzeys Spice catalog. It has a lot of recipes, and I guarantee that you will want to spend your next paycheck on spices.**

No comments:

Post a Comment