Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Theme: Snowmen and Snowflakes

February was cold and snowy (big surprise, I know). We were reaching the end of our rapidly fraying rope. I decided we needed some organized activities to keep us busy and happy. I reinstated our 'theme' weeks, thanks to the printables section of Confessions of a Homeschooler.

I started with a winter theme. There were plenty of cute snowman and snowflake activities to brighten up our gray winter days. I printed all the activities on cardstock and 'laminated' them with contact paper

We started with the snowflake match. She had to match 6 snowflake cards to their matches on a snowflake page. I don't know what I was thinking, this was way too easy for her. So I printed out an additional snowflake page to make an actual match (memory) game. Six pairs was a good amount for her.

The snowman sequence was my favorite. Boo had to sequence the snowmen from biggest to smallest. That was really wasy for her...so I was surprised when it was a challenge for her to go from smallest to biggest.

Finishing the pattern was really fun.

And of course she loved her gluing activity.

Boo's favorite activity was a tracing activity (found a picture!). I slipped the tracing pages into page protectors, and Boo used dry erase markers to trace, and a scrap of felt to erase.
I bought the cheap low odor dry erase markers from Wal-Mart. No good. One tip was already mashed in, and the markers themselves didn't last long. I think next time I'll try the Melissa and Doug ones.

1 comment:

  1. You are always so creative with your activities! I like the page protector idea for a wipe off activity. I'll have to steal it! I need to be starting some preschool lessons here shortly... oh, I guess I need the motivation first. Can you send some of that my way? :)

    ReplyDelete