Friday, September 17, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Cake



I love symbolic food and traditional food. I failed in my Passover meal this spring, but a few weeks ago with Rosh Hoshana coming up, I started looking for a good dish.

I came across a post from Judicial Peach for apple cinnamon cake. He explained apples and honey are traditionally eaten to celebrate the Jewish new year, to ensure that the coming year is good and sweet. I'm fairly picky when it comes to how I eat my apples, and I'm a little suspicious of any cake that does not contain a large amount of chocolate. But I couldn't pass this one up.

Holy apple cake, Batman.

I know I rave about desserts a lot, but this cake was phenomenal. The texture of the cake was a dream, and the crunchy cinnamon sugar top was fabulous.

And if I can make a vanilla ice cream recommendation.

Breyer's Natural Homemade Vanilla. J has tried them all and this is the only vanilla ice cream allowed in the house. I used to think he was silly, being so picky about vanilla ice cream. But I have come to see it his way.

BTW, I cannot wait to celebrate Diwali.

Apple Cinnamon Cake

Ingredients:

For the cake -
1 1/2 c. sugar
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 c. chopped apples

For the topping -
1/4 c. sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Beat sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla on medium speed until well blended.

Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

Add dry ingredients 1/2 cup at a time to the sugar mixture.

Combine sugar and cinnamon for the topping.

Add 2 TB of the cinnamon sugar mixture to the apples and mix until the apples are coated.

Fold the apples into the cake batter.

Pour batter into a greased pan (I used a deep 9 inch Pyrex bowl, the original recipe recommends a springform pan). Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top.

Bake in a 350 degree (preheated) oven for 1 hour.

Cool the cake completely in the pan, then enjoy!

Adapted from Judicial Peach.

1 comment: