Sunday, October 25, 2009

Raspberry Jam


I made some blackberry jam in August, and was disturbed that the recipe called for more cups of sugar than cups of fruit. After reading this and this, I have recommitted to healthier eating.

So when it came time for raspberry jam, I scoured the internet for a lower sugar recipe. I don't use Splenda, so that nixed a lot of the low sugar recipes. But then...success! I used 3/4 cup of honey for the sweetener. Obviously it is not super sweet, but it has a great raspberry taste. Next year I may try adding a little apple juice or white grape juice to sweeten it a bit more.

If you are canning the jam, you have to buy no sugar pectin. Some people online have reported having difficulty finding it in-store, and have to buy in online. But Kroger carries it (I love Krogers almost as much as Target). It's a pink box.

7 comments:

  1. Do you have the Sugar-free Toddlers cookbook? The thing I like best about it is that it doesn't use any artificial sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry but sugar is what jam is all about. At least I know I don't have to share my jam with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this - I'm learning to be all about real foods, & local foods. I really like that you're able to make your own jams. I can't wait to get started with all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the west, Walmart actually carries the no sugar pectin too. Hopefully they do there as well if you have trouble finding it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree at being way miffed that jams call for MORE SUGAR than fruit. I mean, fruit is naturally sweet! WHY are we sweetening it so much more? Makes me crazy. I just hate how I have to feel all "low-sugar" and "lite" etc., when doing stuff, when in reality I'm just trying to do things the common sense way! (Like doesn't it make you crazy that "lite" canned fruit is canned in juice, while "regular" fruit is canned in heavy syrup? Why can't REGULAR fruit be canned in juice????) Makes me nuts. OK. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Lisa. I loved how our sugar jam turned out. But I have to say your recipe looked really good with the apple juice and the honey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the articles you had linked...have you read that kingsolver book - it is pretty interesting...at bit over the top in parts...anyways, I have used this different kind of pectin that (while it still calls for sugar...I think 3/4 cup for 2 cups of fruit?) it is a lot less than the other kind that calls for equal parts!
    i should be better at making jam and canning too! you are an inspiration :) have a good week!

    ReplyDelete