Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


Another recent read, one that I will be adding to my library, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Don't run away just because of the title...

This one is a charming novel set in post-WWII England. The book is entirely made up of letters written between the characters of the book. I was afraid I would find this obnoxious - I never could read Dear Mr. Henshaw. But I loved it. I never gave much thought to the occupation of the Channel Islands during the war, so it was even more interesting to read about their experience of German occupation. Although it has its sad moments, it's not a tragic war book (like The Book Thief). It's...well...charming. Read it, you will love it.

4 comments:

  1. I just heard about this book. I read a lot of reviews and noticed that people either loved it or hated it. I will have to order it and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this book and so glad you enjoyed it too. Lets me know who my true friends are...:)

    I hosted book group when we read this last month and made the best pie that I think you would like to try. You can find it at everydayfoodmag.com, called "Cheddar crusted apple pie". Way worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flori, thanks for the link! I love every day food and will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put it on hold at the library and I'm #177 in the holds list. DANG!

    ReplyDelete