Thursday, February 12, 2009

Grand Raspberry Trifle

I saw this on Martha Stewart's Everyday Baking and gave it a try last weekend. For not being a chocolate dessert, it was awesome. Here is the original recipe, and here is what I did:

1. In a small saucepan, bring 1/4 cup sugar, 1/8 cup water, and 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice to a boil. Boil and stir 1-2 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.

2. Combine 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam with 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries, mashing the raspberries slightly.

3. Whip 1 cup of heavy cream with 1 TB sugar to stiff peaks.

4. Slice about 3/4 of a loaf of pound cake. Brush both sides of cake slices with the lemon syrup, then cut the slices into chunks.
5. Place chunks from 1 slice of pound cake in the bottom of a glass (I used short and wide tumblers, but parfait glasses or wide goblets would be very pretty). Drop a spoonful of raspberry mixture on top of the cake chunks, followed by a spoonful of whipped cream. Repeat twice more, so you have three sets of layers.

6. Garnish the top with fresh raspberries. Refrigerate until serving, up to 24 hours.
As I was making it, it seemed like there was too much pound cake and not enough raspberry sauce, but when we actually ate it I think it was the perfect ratio. A great Valentine's Day dessert!

2 comments:

  1. wowww Ann. That sounds amazing. I think I'm going to have to make a cookbook solely from the recipes you post on here - they all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made me so hungry...and I'm on a diet. :D I could eat all of those dessert cups!

    ReplyDelete