Monday, September 28, 2009

The Book Thief

I recently finished The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. It was over 500 pages, but so good that even after 500 pages I still wanted more. I couldn't put it down.

It's the story of a young girl growing up in Nazi Germany. So it's one of those great, but tragic books. The first few chapters were a little confusing and dreadfully sad, but after that it perked up a bit. That is to say I wasn't crying every time I picked up the book. Death was the narrator of the story, which was very clever, and probably my favorite thing about the book.

I also appreciated that this book was about ordinary people living in Germany during the war. All my other war books are about Jews in hiding, Jews in camps, members of the resistance in occupied countries, Allied forces, etc. Germans lived, suffered, died, and showed compassion during the war as well.

Great read - 4 stars.

3 comments:

  1. I thieved that book for a little while when I was there and read the first few chapters. I was really interested - now that I know the rest of the book is good as well, I'll have to find it and finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know. I always love a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ha! Grandma Great shed some light on why Death tells Lisle's story...she stole books...he stole lives.

    ReplyDelete