Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chicago Style pizza

Giordano's pizza.

When we lived in Chicago, we had a sausage and spinach pizza from Giordano's with our friends, the Churches. And then we had it a lot more. It ruined me for pizza forever.

A few weeks ago I was looking for more meat-free recipes and I stumbled across Annie's recipe for Chicago Style pizza. As if I didn't already love her site enough. It was adapted from Cooks Illustrated, and if anyone can crack the code for Chicago pizza, it's the people from Cooks Illustrated.

So it's not Giordano's pizza. But it's close enough. Oh, it's so good. I wish you could all come to my house and I would cook this pizza for you. And then we would eat it again the next day, because it's that good.

If you're not familiar with Chicago pizza, it's more like a pie. Buttery, flaky crust, cheese on the bottom, sauce on the top.

The first time I made it, I used a cast iron skillet. It was okay.

Yesterday I used the cake pan, and it was soooooo much better.

Just look at that thick crust and all that beautiful cheese oozing out.

I love the cheese only pizza. But J demands more toppings. So next time I'll add some spinach and sausage.

4 comments:

  1. I have Giordano's Pizza and it is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...I would come to your house for pizza...and all the raspberry chocolate stuff you make. Why are we not 10 minutes away from each other anymore? I miss you! And not just for all the tasty things you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I stand alone . . . but there's just way too much sauce on that pizza. The rest looks great, but I agree with J that it could use some spinach and sausage. (and just put some sauce on a spoon and wave it over the pizza - that's plenty) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I must say that after this post I had the biggest craving and yesterday we made it.
    Wow, you weren't kidding. Best pizza ever.
    I can no longer have pizza any other way.
    Thanks andrea for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete